Sunday, July 18, 2010

School, summer, and sangria

Hi...remember me? Yes, I know I've been neglecting my blog lately, but ever since school started I've been struggling to adjust to my new schedule. I've continued working on a part-time basis while attending school five days a week. I have to say, school is a bit intense, and we cover quite a bit of material within the six hours that I'm in class. So far, we've gone over only the basics - preparing pastry creams, butter creams, meringue, pâte à choux and sweet dough.

Tomorrow we begin learning how to create sugar candies and then we'll move on to ice cream. I'm hoping to have some new recipes to post soon. In the meantime, I thought I'd share a non-pastry recipe since it was such a big hit with my friends.


There is something about summer nights that makes me want to sip sangria by the gallon, and last night was certainly no exception. The weather was perfect — clear skies, warm temps minus the gross mugginess that is so typical of Chicago in July. My friends and I decided to gather together on the rooftop of my building to savor the summer air, and enjoy a little sake sangria. This was the first time I had ever made sangria sans vin, and it was AMAZING.

You've been warned: this potent cocktail is
cleverly disguised as a subdued, fruity drink.

 Sake Sangria
  • 4 cups sake
  • 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 - 3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
  • 2 cups chopped fresh fruit, such as strawberries, cantaloupe, kiwi or watermelon
  • soda water
In a bowl, combine the sake, orange juice, Grand Marnier, and sugar and stir until sugar is totally dissolved. Pour the mixture into a large pitcher, add the fruit chunks, cover, refrigerate, and allow to macerate for 4 to 6 hours.

To serve, fill large wineglasses with ice, add enough of the mixture to fill about 3/4 full, splash with soda water and serve with fruit.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. The sangria sounds so refreshing I wish I had a glass now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...you really must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. This looks totally refreshing. But, since I am addicted to chocolate, I have to request something with milk chocolate please. Thanks! I'll be waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn,

    Your Sake Sangria recipe looks delicious! The California Strawberry Commission would like to post the link at www.facebook.com/castrawberries as one of our Wednesday WOW! Recipes. Feel free to check out our page and see how we credit bloggers.

    Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing back from you.

    Thank you!

    Best,
    Sara
    .............
    Sara Johnson
    sara@43pr.com

    ReplyDelete