Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blackberry Cabernet Sorbet

Okay, I'm not usually one to rave about sorbet/sorbetto, but I recently purchased a pint of Ciao Bella's Blackberry Cabernet and found it to be fanfrickingtastic.

 
The refreshingly tart, berry flavor (with just a hint of vino) danced on my tongue. At around $5 a pint, it may not be the most economical way for me to get my sorbet fix.

I've noticed that it's frequently sold out at my local Whole Foods, so, I resorted to the Internet in search of the guess-ipe to this divine concoction.

And here it is, my friends.




Blackberry Cabernet Sorbet
Adapted from StarChefs
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 2 cups fresh (or thawed, frozen) blackberries
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 egg white, whipped
In a bowl of cold water, gently clean the blackberries. Be sure to remove all debris and any soft or discolored berries.

In a food processor or blender, combine the berries, water, sugar, lemon juice and wine. Process or blend mixture until smooth. Add the whipped egg white and stir until thoroughly blended. Chill mixture.

Freeze (churn) cooled mixture in an ice cream machine, according to the manufacturer’s directions.

10 comments:

  1. this makes me want to dig that ice cream maker from under the pile of crap in my storage space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for being so resourceful! Love the brilliant magenta color of the sorbet. And Ciao Bella, which got its start in my very own San Francisco, always makes great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how whipped is the egg white? foamy, soft peaks, or stiff peaks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cricket: the recipe wasn't specific, but I whipped it to the soft peak stage then folded it into the fruit mixture. I found many recipes both with and without egg whites and was wondering their purpose. Apparently, it gives the sorbet a creamier consistency and helps to preserve it (prevents ice crystals from forming).

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks! looks delish, I will have to print the recipe and save it for blackberry season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. $5 bucks a pint may be a little steep, but as i always tell kathy...a girl's gotta eat! looks great DJ Hot Ears!!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. about how many quarts of sorbet does this recipe make? or, rather, what size of ice cream maker did you use for this? i'm trying to figure out if i need to increase the amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The recipe as listed only makes one pint, so I doubled it. I can eat a pint in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. do you need to sieve out the blackberry seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I did not remove the seeds.

    ReplyDelete